Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Hope Dr. King Has A Sense of Humor

This is a busy semester.  Partly because I have refused to give up some of the social or volunteer things I love.  In fact, I've even ramped up the number of play dates for Anna and agreed to another sleepover for the String Trio.  Call me crazy, but I think it's good for everyone's mental health.  Otherwise, we would just rot away in our almost-an-igloo this winter. 

One of the things I love is hanging out with kindergartners.  I volunteer in Anna's class every other Thursday, overseeing one of the centers. I get 2 different groups of kids per time, which amounts to 20 minutes of interaction with 5-6 kids.  I love getting to know Anna's classmates, classroom environment, etc.  And I think conversations with 5 year olds are one of life's greatest, or at least funniest, gifts.

Today, I was supposed to help the kids do a portrait of Martin Luther King Jr., in honor of the holiday coming up.  Before I go on, I must clarify that Jeff and I try to help our kids appreciate the work of Dr. King and other humanitarians.  We do not shy away from issues of race, inequality, etc.  People have made great sacrifices for the freedom of others, and that is not to be taken lightly.  So please understand that as I go on.

I am not certain that this activity was the best way to honor Dr. King.  First of all, I learned that the kids have not discussed the meaning of Martin Luther King Jr. Day yet.  So some had no idea who this guy whose head they were tracing and cutting out was.  They also had to cut out a shirt and jacket and eyes and glue them on.  This work took their full attention, so they were pretty serious.  Then came the part where they could draw his nose, mouth, hair, and moustache and a bow tie. 

Hilarity ensued.  Only one serious little artiste declined joining in the "how funny can we make this guy look" contest.  I tried to direct them to the pattern and impart a little respect, but the temptation was too great for them.  They were getting to draw a moustache on someone.  How funny is that? "Look at MY funny guy's moustache!"  "Oh yeah, well MY funny guys moustache is RED!"  And me "His name is Martin Luther King Jr. See. you can trace it right there."  "Well I don't want my guy's name to be Martin Luther King Jr."

Really, it's a good thing I'm not a kindergarten teacher.  I would be no good at it.  I would laugh at inappropriate things and my classroom would be total chaos.  No one would learn anything, apparently, except how to deface national heroes. 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You should volunteer to lead the class trip to Mt. Rushmore. And give each kid a can of spray paint. :)

So funny, Tiff! So funny!