Saturday, January 29, 2011

Save the Music

Did I brag to you about my daughter being the only 7th grader at her school to make the All-County orchestra? Today was the performance.  It was fabulous.  For 7th, 8th, and 9th graders they were so good.  I love that my daughter plays in orchestras.  I know I've told you this.

Live music is always better, don't you think? I love attending live music performances.  There's something so exciting yet so soul-satisfying about watching musicians go about their craft, in person.  I love the decorum of symphony halls, the dressing up and acting like a grown up.  I love crowded coffee houses bursting to capacity with a live local band in the corner.  I love to witness my daughter's talent blossom.

Sadly, sadly, a story ran in our paper two or three days ago about the financial strain on our Syracuse Symphony Orchestra.  They might shut their doors.  A city without a symphony is a poor, dying, sad shell of a city.  Jeff actually asked me if I'd seen the article (I had) and if there was anything we could do.  We don't exactly have endowment type money.  I suggested that we go to the concert in April featuring Yo-Yo Ma.  I've never heard him in person.  What a great excuse.

Molly's conductor tonight mentioned that in a world of instant gratification, it's great to see kids learning a craft that teaches them focus and commitment.  To reach excellence on a stringed instrument is not an instant process.  He expressed joy at the kids being able to perform for a packed house.  He mentioned the sad looming fate of the SSO, and said that if we lost it, our kids would have less to aspire to, and our city, diminished.


I think most of this blog's audience are my friends and family who probably don't have thousands lying around to give to the SSO.  If any wealthy passerby feels moved, or if anyone knows a corporation to tap, please help save our symphony!!!! As for the rest of us, we could attend a performance in our own cities, or even our local high school.  A world without artists is not one we want to live in.

1 comment:

The MessyBlessyMomma said...

We, your friends, are wealthy in friendship, spirit and love, however most of your friends (myself included) would LOVE to help if we had the oodles of cash. I feel so sad. In this time of downtrodden economy, everyone is suffering and what is worst is watching the kids. Prayers that Molly can continue with her love of music through the orchestra!