Sunday, January 2, 2011

No Place Like Home

We traveled for the holidays.  If I didn't visit with you, please don't assume I didn't want to see you.  My girls had a very short break this year, and our families are much stingier with us now that we are so far away from them. 

Of course I have tons to do now.  And I'm exhausted.  And my immune system got confused by all the new germs and I'm fighting a cold.  And tomorrow it's back to the routine.  But I've been away awhile and wanted to spend some time here.

 As we drove away from the Midwest today, I wondered how in the world I was going to go back to the Northeast and pretend like it's my home.  But as I sit in my house and start reconnecting with my everyday life, I realize that there are many places that my heart feels at home.

Of course very little has to do with the actual buildings and land I inhabit.  Home has to do with people and memories and feelings.  So I guess "home" can be applied to many different arrangements that always include people dear to me. 

Which is probably one of the reasons I felt compelled to check in on this space.  Because in a way, it's kind of one of those places that are home to me.  I hope you feel at home here too. 

1 comment:

Tashmica said...

It's kind of like how you feel when you sit down to a chat with women you love..or a familiar seat in a favorite place...I know what you mean.