Sunday, April 24, 2011

Being at the Sunrise

 The alarm went off at 4:30 this morning.  I told Jeff we had to be good parents and could absolutely not let Molly down.  Molly, you see, is part of the confirmation class at church, and they were responsible for the 6:00 am sunrise service at Greenlawn cemetery.  (The sun rises early during Northeastern spring and even earlier in summer). Since it poured yesterday and mornings have not been exactly warm, we opted for bundling up in jeans and sweatshirts and wellies instead of dresses and sandals.

As usual, a pre-sunrise wake-up always seems like a bad idea until you actually get to see the sunrise.  It wasn't unbearably cold, and the sunrise did not disappoint.  Deep, brilliant pink fading to shades of Easter eggs as the sun rose in the lovely, peaceful, wooded hill of the cemetery.  The group was pretty small, which made it a cozy sort of setting.  Afterward, a few of our church family who absolutely love cooking for everyone had a huge breakfast of eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, corn beef hash, waffles, granola, and fresh fruit waiting.  It was still early when we came home to do our family Easter egg hunt. Later we will go out to dinner and (I got outvoted on hiking) will play mini-golf if the rain continues to stay away. Right now, we're lounging.

I liked this way of celebrating Easter. I liked the simple and relaxed breakfast with church family.  I liked  not worrying about buying new outfits and dressing up.  I liked being out in nature.  The whole thing made me kind of feel the Resurrection story.  Quietly, beautifully, without anything forced or fussed over.  Honestly, I loved it.  I don't know if this will become a family tradition or not.  4:30 am is awfully early.  Syracuse springs are wild and unpredictable, and of course we heard the stories about this 50 year tradition at times being carried on in 6 inches of snow. This morning, however, I am glad I was at the sunrise.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

It sounds wonderful!!

Tiffany said...

I must authentically update and say that the rain prevented mini-golf: Jeff taught us to play no limit hold 'em instead:)Nothing like a little Easter poker.

Tashmica said...

Ha! Easter Poker! I love that but you knew I would. Your Easter sounds perfect. Isn't it funny how the quiet and simple make an Easter story more real.