Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hey, Mom - who's your boyfriend?

It seems that part of having kids is getting to answer big questions...about life, theology, relationships, etc. Age 3 for both my kids has been prime time for this (though Anna blessedly hasn't gone through the "why"phase Molly did!) Anna has been asking if I'm Jeff's sister, if our friends upon their announcement of having a baby were married, etc. Yesterday in a crowded playground she hollered to me, "Hey, Mom - who's your boyfriend?"
I called back as inconspicuously as possible, "I don't have a boyfriend, Sweetie. Daddy is my husband."
She yells back, "WHO?"
"Daddy! Daddy is my husband."
"Who is your BOYFRIEND?"
"NOBODY! I'm married to DADDY!"

My kids are into this "slugbug" game too. Only no slugging allowed in our family due to Anna's tendency to get carried away with brutish activities. (My nephews thought this was quite a rip off when they rode with us.) The other day Anna said, "Mom, what is heaven?'' Wow - I had a bit of trouble pushing away old baggage and coming up with an age-appropriate and timely response. And then, I responded as any faithful, wise parent would "Slug Bug Yellow!"

They will be in therapy for years.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

i think you should have your boyfriend answer that one. :)