This actually happened a few days ago. I wanted to post a photo with it, but it's hard to take a photo of a child on rollerskates who can't stand on them unless she's holding on to you. I am avoiding both Math homework and last minute packing and was writing a few things in the "Funny things Anna says" journal Kristy bought me and makes me keep and I thought I just had to share this because it's so Anna.
Molly is a perservering, adventurous, flexible child. She learned to cross country ski this winter while Anna sat down in the snow and announced "I quit!" Molly at age 4 climbed all the bluffs in Devil's Lake state park all day. Anna barely walks a mile and wants to be done. I've noticed this pattern and decided it's time to toughen Anna up.
So we put on the rollerskates that haven't been out of the closet for a month. We skate up to the Little Caesar's and grabbed a pizza (I'm not above using food for bribes). Anna complained a little, but not much. On the way back, halfway down our block she rolled into the grass, tugged her hand away from mine and announced, "I am a quitter!" Of course, I start the pep-talk "No! you aren't a quitter! You're a fighter! You're tough!" She made it home. I praised and applauded, she grinned and "woo-hoo"ed. Trying to seize a teachable moment I say, "You know, when I run a race sometimes I feel like quitting in the middle too. But I'm always so proud of myself when I finish." She stopped a moment, then thoughtfully responded, "Yeah, but I bet you wouldn't feel so proud of yourself if you losed the whole race."
She gives my life such perspective:)
1 comment:
Great story, even hearing it a second time!
And someday, you'll be glad I "make" you keep a journal. :)
Post a Comment