Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It doesn't pay to procrastinate...you think I'd know by now

I do not have time to sew costumes this year (hmmm, when have i EVER done that?!). Or paste together cardboard. Or go to Goodwill every week and rummage. So places like Halloween USA...yeah, they exist for people like me. Who get themselves into situations where they pay crazy high prices for costumes falling apart by the end of trick-or-treating.

To my defense, my sister passed on a perfectly good giraffe costume from my nephew. Anna refused it. (I think it frightened her). Then I remembered I had the makings for a Madeline costume. Except the hat didn't fare so well. It looks nothing like Madeline's hat anymore. Or even a hat. Madeline is not so popular that the hats are sold everywhere anymore - I looked. You can buy a Madeline costume on line for 30 bucks. No way! So I tried to talk Anna into being a ballet dancer and wear her dance outfit. She looked at me like I'd sprouted horns. "THAT isn't a COSTUME! I've worn that to dance like, a hundered times. Can I be Princess Presto?" That costume is also 30 bucks online. No way!

We were at Target today and I thought I'd give that a try. Anna spotted an Abby Cadabby costume. " Oh, Mama! I have to be Abby Cadabby!" She clutched the costume to her little self for dear life and her eyes dared me to take it away. As we walked back up to the check-out she excitedly chattered about the shoes and the wand and the wig, and could she PLEASE go trick-or-treating tonight? Guess how much the costume was. Drumroll...30 bucks.

And can anyone tell me where you can get a costume for a ten year old girl that isn't skanky? (That you don't have to sew, or paste together or be very creative about?) I suggested a chef - apron, hat....I got laughed at. "I don't want to be a CHEF, Mom!" So I suggested a doctor, and the bone I threw was getting to use the REAL stethoscope (remember nursing school?! Yeah, it was good for an authentic Halloween prop!) She agreed. Now to find a little lab coat. They're backordered at lots of online stores and not cheap. Ohhhh, I don't want to spend 30 bucks again! But, at least she won't look like a ten year old tramp.

After Target Anna talked me into a "smooshie" (slushie) from QD and then the park. It's her new favorite date. Except I upped the ante today and will surely regret it in the future. Lake Lansing park was EMPTY today. Beautiful day. So we played at the playground, strolled by the lake, went on the trike track (except Anna calls it the racetrack and runs around it). Of course we were playing all sorts of things, one being High School Musical. Well, there's this bandshell at the park that is used during the summer for concerts in the park. And you know where I'm going with this. So Gabriella and Troy (guess who I was...) sang and danced on the stage. I warned her that if there was ever even just ONE person in the park we were NOT doing this! No pictures, sorry!

No comments: