Monday, October 27, 2008

It's not easy being three

Last night I did my motherly duty to make sure that Molly could sufficiently join in all 5th grade girl conversations at school today by taking her to see High School Musical 3. Anna knew we were going to a movie, but I would not tell her exactly which movie for fear of the fallout. I promised I'd tell her what we saw in the morning and all about it. Of course, Anna is savvy and smart and told Jeff she KNEW we were seeing High School Musical. As you know by now, Anna has become a HUGE fan despite the fact that she's never seen any of the trilogy.

This morning I got up at 6:30 and headed into the bathroom to hop in the shower. I just turn on the water...knock knock..."Mommy, what movie did you see last night? Was it the High School Musical one?" I affirm that it was. She plops herself down on the floor outside the shower. "Tell me ALL about it Mama!" I ask if she could wait until I was done showering. No, she could not. So over the noise of the water I do my best to give a summary.

She and I are eating breakfast when her sister comes down and lays on the couch. (Molly isn't a real fast a.m. mover - she does things s-l-o-w-l-y in stages.) Anna jumps out of her chair, runs over to the couch and sits as close to Molly as possible. "Molly! Tell me ALL about High School Musical 3!" So Molly gives a (more detailed) summary. Anna's face is pure rapture, attention completely fixed on Molly as she hears, for a second time, all about the movie. The rest of the morning she assigned parts and attempted to have as all play High School Musical 3, slipping in sly comments about how she wishes she could have gone.

It seems so mean to not have taken her, but this seems like a line in the sand I should adhere to. A movie about senior year of high school, no matter how clean, barely seems like appropriate material for a 10 yr old let alone a 3 year old. I don't know. I must say that even though it was hard for Anna, she handled it well.

No comments: