
The standard engagement Anna and I have on Tuesday mornings was cancelled last minute today. While I love my friends in this group...what a windfall! Translates to free day with the car! So Anna and I went to the Y this morning and after lunch went to the zoo. (Anna getting ready to feed the llamas to the right).
Sometimes it's so difficult for me to focus on my kids when we're at home and I have chores screaming all around me to get done or homework looming. And I am not very good at pretending with three year olds who change character assignments and the rules of the game constantly. When we get out and away (not on errands - that changes the equation), and one on one (also an important distinction), I can really enjoy spending time with them. They have real conversations with me. Molly: about things going on in her life and things she has been thinking about. Anna: stream of consciousness. Her way of describing things is always unique and entertaining. Today after the Y she was chattering about a little girl she played with. When Anna was describing first seeing the girl today she told me , "And in my BRAIN I said 'hey, I think that's (so and so)!' You know, I said it in my head, not talking with my MOUTH." (Try to envision Anna gestures and voice inflections!)
I am convinced that if I took each girl on more one on one fun excursions with me, my relationship capital with them would be sky high: therefore, my parenting would be a lot better. But, as my Tuesday morning friends and I have often discussed; good parenting is hard work and takes time.
1 comment:
I identified with you entirely on this one. I find it hard to give my kids all my attention at home too. Thanks for letting me know, it's not just me!
Post a Comment