Sunday, May 3, 2009

Getting By With a Little Help From My Friends

   But not getting high with a little help from my friends.  Or at all.  Unless by "high" we mean "pinch me, I'm having so much fun I must be dreaming!"  Which I'm pretty sure isn't what the Beatles meant...

After lots of Jeff being away (he's on his way to NY again and to San Fran this weekend) and the end of the semester push, I got to go on a girls weekend!  No kids, no guys, no chores, no homework and instead,  3 of my best old (as in, from times past, not in age) friends and indulgence.  One of my friends treated us to deluxe pedicures, we lunched at an all you can eat Indian buffet, and talked until way past midnight.  Oh, and I bought too-expensive shoes. Yes, pure indulgence.

I need weekends like this every once in awhile to remember that there is a whole other side of me that is not Mom or Wife or Maid or Student.   Though we don't live near one another anymore, these girls are so important to me for a hundred reasons. Yes, they represent a part of my past, but also feed my soul whenever I spend time with them.  They understand how deeply I love my family even if I complain about them a little.  They don't count my politics or any differences of opinion against me.  They also give me much-needed fashion advice.  And most importantly, they share their wonderful selves with me. Each of these women is inspiring in her own right, and I am always deeply grateful to be included in their amazing lives.

The truth is, I have many friends here and scattered about who enrich my life and, honestly, help me get by.  It's when I take a weekend just for friendship, though, that I realize just how lost I would be without my friends. Thank you, all my friends!


1 comment:

Carly said...

you made me cry... i miss you terribly and love you LOTS.