Sunday, May 31, 2009

When the Going Gets Tough...

..the "tough" get out of town for a mini vacation!

Jeff has had a rough week and another to look forward to, we have begun packing, and we have a month left in Michigan.  Since this might be our last "open" weekend, we thought about how great it would be to get out and do a "one last" visit to one of our favorite Michigan places. Anna has never actually been on Mackinac Island, and the chances of us going there again are  slim - so that's where we headed.  Saturday night we got a cheap rate at a hotel with a pool so the girls could swim, then headed to the Island in the morning.  It was a beautiful, but chilly day.  Amazing how much difference a few hours north makes.  But we've never been on the Island in the spring, or when there are so few tourists, and it was BEAUTIFUL.  We took a carriage ride, visited the butterfly house, rented bikes, and of course ate fudge.  A few snapshots from the day:

The boat ride over was FREEZING.  Even with winter coats and a blanket.  Daddy and Nan as we approached the island.  I just thought this was a cute shot.
Walking down the main drag, looking for some lunch. If you've never been there other than summer, look how empty it looks!
The bike ride today was perfect.  Entrance to the state park.  The tulips were in bloom all over.  Not the lilacs yet, but I'm glad we got to see the tulips and other spring blooms.
Last time we were on the Island, Molly was riding in a seat on the back of my bike.  Not this time.  She held her own.
A fudge break along the way.  Of course.  We realized that Anna needs no excuse for eating fudge, and would eat her way to a fudge coma if left unchecked.  Takes after a certain relative of ours, which shall remain anonymous unless they choose to reveal their identity:)

I think we accomplished what we set out to do.  Make some last Michigan memories for the girls, and clear our heads a little before buckling down again this week.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I'm so glad you did this. And I appreciate it that you didn't unveil my identity. Although, I know that I should fess up to being a "fudgie" in all senses of the word!