We girlfriends that meet on Tuesday mornings decided we would go through a book together called "Me, Myself and Lies: A Thought Closet Makeover", which discusses how the way we talk to ourselves can be destructive. The section I read today talked about how our words can create or destroy. The way we talk to ourselves is powerful and influences the things we say to others. Ouch. How often are my words negative and destructive? (This is something I've been working on since 5th grade - ask my mom).
About Jeff... He is one of the most positive people I know. He sees things in a glass half-full way, never belittles me or the kids, and focuses on solutions. As I was thinking about the way I talk to myself and others, I realized how much more positive I've been in the years I've been under Jeff's daily influence. Not that I don't fall back into old habits, but being with such a person has changed my outlook on life for the better. It gives me confidence to do so many things that I never had the guts to do. He simply believes that I can when I think I can't.
My kids may not realize for many years what kind of advantage this is - having this kind of man for a father. Sometimes they just want to whine and bask in self-pity. I know, because sometimes I want to.
He must feel overwhelmed by us often. But he never complains, stays strong and keeps the atmosphere in our house from becoming toxic.
1 comment:
What, not tidiness??!
Looking forward to seeing you all soon!
Post a Comment