Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Summer Goals

We are enjoying the school-free summer already.  It's so fun to hang out with my kids in no-pressure conditions.  I don't have to prod about homework or whisk kids from here to there all the time.  Molly can waste hours of time, which she loves, and Anna can hang out all day with her big sis, which she loves.  Sometimes I can get lots done, and sometimes I can't.  But in the times I can't, we usually come up with something fun to do. (Remember, it' still June - wonder what I'll be saying at the end of August!)

Each child has a goal or two this summer.  Molly wants to run a 5k at the end of the month.  She wants to beat her last 5k time, which was over a year ago.  Yesterday we went out and started training.  She was so irritated with herself for being out of shape.  Which surprised me.  She is usually kind of laid back about most things, even running races.  She made a training plan with me, including yoga sessions afterward for stretching.  

Part of the allure of this, I think, is that it's something just her and I can do together.  Meaning:  Anna can't run a 5k with us.  Anna rides in the Burley during our run.  I let her get out on our street, she runs down the street, and is content with that.  

Anna's project is helping the neighbor with some landscaping/dog containing projects.  Violet the basset hound is at our door/patio more than she is her own.  Which is fine with us.  But may not be with the next people who live here. So the neighbor is clearing out river rocks from a section of her plot she wants to landscape differently and pile the rocks under the fence dividing their walk from ours. (Violet has also shredded an obscene number of leashes diving under that fence to get over here).  Anna is helping with the project.  Yesterday, when she was tired and done she promised she would come back.  "How about 7 in the morning, Miss S?  I'll ask my mom if I can meet you at 7."   

Of course, swimming is on the list.  And all those goodbyes.  One last visit to the Aquatic Center, one last playdate with so and so. I don't think they comprehend what the next part of the summer in their new home will entail.  In their minds, July is the end of the world. Except there's that Myrtle Beach trip with Grandma and Grandpa Rozelle, and Anna's flower girl gig in August.  Maybe the world will end after that, right about the time school starts again.  

No comments: