There are no running stores in my vicinity. Dick's Sporting Goods was no help. When I told the employee I needed a neutral running shoe, preferably New Balance, they looked at me cluelessly. When I elaborated with, "You know, not stability or motion control," they picked up a pair and said, "well, I think this one is real popular." The New Balance website was far more helpful and was giving 10% off and free shipping. Sold.
When I delightedly opened them, I noticed a tag saying "Made in the USA", a disclosure about how they no longer really are able to have all parts of the shoe made in the US, but that the "Made in the USA" label meets federal regulations for using that phrase - 70% of materials. They apologized and said they are striving to make quality, affordable shoes, but still maintain as many US jobs as possible.
Do you know why I buy New Balance in the first place (POLITICS ALERT! You may really not want to know, so skip to the end if that's you!) Because at some point upon learning the ridiculously terrible conditions of shoe factory workers in overseas plants, I started researching all major shoe companies that carry good running shoes. New Balance was my favorite. They were the most honest and forthright. Well, at least they answered all my questions. Personally. They gave me details and contact numbers and such. They admitted that not all of their factories are in the USA - and in the ones that aren't, they try to ensure that the workers do not work in deplorable conditions for shameful pay.
So not only am I looking forward to running without pain today, I am glad that I bought these shoes. I will never know exactly what New Balance's real policies are, (I am not dumb enough to be oblivious to "honesty" being a marketing ploy), but how many companies are even trying to keep good jobs in the U.S? I don't have a lot of money. These shoes set me back a little. But when I spend money, I hope it talks for me.
And yes, I am fully aware that New Balances are "Stuff White People Like." (A blog far more entertaining and famous than mine).
1 comment:
We both need running shoes pretty badly, too. Between the two of us, there have been three marathons, a half marathon, and several miles in between. Enjoy your new shoes!
Post a Comment