Wednesday, September 8, 2010

School Starts


First day of kindergarten. She's more than ready. I thought maybe my lunch hadn't digested well enough when I spied the bus down the street, but she hopped on so happily it made me feel better. There were almost tears coming out of my eyes when Jeff said no we couldn't really exactly follow the bus, we could just drive to school and meet the bus when it got there. I never put a kindergartner on a bus before. But tears never actually fell and she did so well that I just had to be thrilled for her too.

School routines, however, are not my forte. (Are you noticing that there are a lot of things that are not my forte?) Vegetarian lunches have to be packed at 6:30, and that means that I made guac at 6:30 am today. My eye has to be to the clock nonstop it seems. Especially in the evening. "How was your day? Wow, that's a lot of papers for me to sign! Do I actually have to read them? Have a snack. Yes, now, or you won't eat your dinner. You should do your homework first. Nope, TV after homework. Computer too. Oh, Biscuit has to go out. When do you want to take your bath, now or after dinner? Grandma's calling. Dad's calling. No, he won't be home until you're in bed. Dinnertime! I told you not to eat so many crackers. The whole bowl of soup if you want ice cream. You have to eat more soup before you get more bread. Yes, you can play for half an hour and then you have to get in the tub. You can read to me for half an hour. One story, one song like always. Yes, you have to go to sleep now because you have school in the morning." And then I prop my eyelids open and do my homework and then when I can't take it anymore I have my bowl of ice cream (Yes, I ate my soup). And then fall into bed around 11:30 because my alarm will ring at 6am and I must get out of bed.

And so the next two weeks will be us trying to get used to the rhythm of the new schedule. At least the weather is nice and cool and fallish so that it really does feel like the school year should start.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Anna looks so cute! I'm sorry I didn't get to call. I got home from work at 9:00 and the Hoberts were here. I'll try to call soon!

Tashmica said...

I think we are reading the same script with the nouns and pronouns switched around :) I think this back to school season is like Mommy Boot Camp.