All kindergartners have bumps in the beginning, and while I listened to stories of adjustment pains of others, I asked Jeff if we could have possibly escaped. He looked at me like, "I thought you were smarter than that," and assured me that Anna would take a turn at giving her parents fits.
It happened today (while he was out of town, of course, which I am sure had something to do with it). She kept telling me she was nervous about school pictures because Molly said she had a weird smile. Poor Molly was getting inwardly cursed while Anna was whimpering getting on the bus. I called Jeff to get advice about how to handle that meanie big sister. (He was in a meeting).
When Anna got off the bus in the afternoon she had HUGE red, raw circles under her eyes. It looked like she'd been at the beach all day without sunscreen. My radar detected crying and rubbing eyes; this was more than picture day jitters. Later on in the evening, posing as Hagrid (me) asking Harry (Anna) what had happened to his eyes (was it that Draco Malfoy again?), I got the story. Two days ago when it was raining, Anna ran off the bus and her teacher "yelled" at her. When my kids say someone "yelled" at them there is an entire gamut of things that could mean. Teacher warned her that if she ever saw her running off the bus again she would get a yellow card. (Yellow comes before red, which = call home).
She rubbed her eyes today because she tried not to cry. She cried anyway. She is afraid she will cry tomorrow. So she cried tonight.
We talked about why the teacher might "yell" in that situation. It is a grown-up's job to watch out for the children in their care. Sometimes a grown-up has to get stern to ensure that the children will obey the rules, because it is very important to stay safe. I assured her that the teacher still likes her (admittedly, an assumption on my part), and Anna should not worry about the teacher yelling at her. Anna replied that it is very embarrassing to be yelled at in front of everyone.
We also talked about ways not to cry tomorrow. She brought up praying. She promptly burst into tears after we prayed. We sang a nice song. Tears again. I suggested that we make a magic wand and she could pretend to be Hermione and in her head secretly cast "no crying" spells on herself or "no laughing" spells on the boys or even "no yelling" spells on the teacher. She giggled and said that was a good idea.
Yeah, well, it's my job to get that child on the bus tomorrow and help her look forward to school.
I hate this part of parenting. I wish I had Hermione's wand and spell-casting abilities. Hopefully Jeff will be able to call tonight for a chat about this (and banish this Harry Potter nonsense, you might be thinking). I remember what it was like to be a kindergartner and first grader and feel those hot tears spring to my eyes and despite my best efforts, crying anyway. I remember how embarrassing it was, and how it seemed like the end of the world to cry at school.
My apologies to Molly who, it turns out, had nothing to do with her sister not wanting to go to school today. Teacher, to you I say that we warned you not once but twice that Anna is extremely sensitive, much more than you would suspect.
4 comments:
Oh, hugs to you and to Anna. You're right, this part of parenting is tough. I had no idea.
I'm picturing myself as Madea, climbing on the bus and telling the teacher..."I'll be seeing you at 3 o'clock." Watch your back teach!
But you? You handled it perfectly! Even with the Harry Potter nonsense:)
Um, so Anna and Simone had a similar week :) Hugs Anna, Simone knows just how you feel...perhaps little budding pen pals Tiffany????
Funny you should say that, Tash, because I actually deleted a suggestion that Teach have her anti-aircraft weaponry available because the Black Hawk was comin'.
Anna, bursting with EQ as she is, all on her own make Teach a sweet card on Friday. And she came home proclaiming that the day was awesome. Let's hope this will make Monday easier.
Anna would probably love a penpal, Ellie. Though I'm not sure we want those 2 joining forces?!
Post a Comment