Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fishy Stories

Anna came home from preschool Wednesday and said,"Guess what, Mom?  Big Lug came to our preschool today!"  Big Lug is the mascot for our local minor league baseball team, the Lansing Lugnuts.  She had a whole story.  "I gave him a big hug and I wasn't even scared.  And we all colored on a big card for him and at the end we all gave it to him and said 'Happy Valentine's Day!'" I was a little puzzled as to why this was not on the preschool schedule, and wondered why Big Lug made an impromptu visit.  So I said offhandedly that I'd have to ask the teacher why the special visit, at which point Anna piped up "Oh, Mom, I was just joking."  "About what?"  "The whole thing.  It was all a joke.  Big Lug didn't come at all."  

So this is Anna's alarming new habit.  She's also told a few other fibs, so Jeff and I have had to crack down.  Thankfully, now that we know the telltale signs, we know when she is making something up. She will not watch "Larry Boy and the Fib From Outer Space" or allow us to read her "The Berenstain Bears and the Truth".  She claims they are boring, suddenly.  It is a little reassuring to know her conscience does bother her.

Grandma Rozelle went to preschool with her on Friday so I got an accurate story as to what happened at preschool.   Grandpa and Grandma took Anna out for the afternoon too.  They told me that when they asked her if she'd like some ice cream for a snack Anna said, dramatically of course, "Oh, my mom only lets me eat HEALTHY things."  Yeah, we never have ice cream in our house....

Grandpa asked later if she'd like chips.  "My mom doesn't let me have chips.  They aren't healthy.  I need to eat healthy snacks."  I really don't let her have chips often... He asked if she'd like an apple.  "Oh, she might not like me to have one."  Now that's fishy.  "She probably would let me have some jelly beans though."  I'm really hoping this child will someday use her negotiating skills to be an international justice lawyer or something for good, not evil.  I believe they settled on wheat thins and cheese cubes.

The photo was taken in the stands at Moll's b-ball game.  Jeff, Anna, and Grandma.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

oh my, i had to give a big laugh to this one! the look on your face when the teacher told you there was no big lug... i wish i had been there! HA! i love the level of detail in her story! that girl cracks me up!

Amanda said...

Maybe Owen and Annie will rock their respective debate teams? Defend the defenseless? If we imagine that we're helping to prepare them for some noble task, will it be easier? :)