I was watching Rowan yesterday afternoon. Annie was chattering about what a beautiful day it was and how we could take him to the zoo and the library and I had to break the news that we would probably just have him at the house. She got an extremely irritated look on her face and said, "So, do I have to be a big help?" I assured her that she did not. But when adorable Rowan showed up all coos and smiles, she decided to hang out and play with him. At the point he started crying she asked, "Um, can I just go up in my room and shut the door now?"
Later on, Rowan ended up crying quite a bit. Anna was irritated with me. "MOM! He does NOT want US! He wants HIS MOM!" How do you explain to a 4 year old how precious this away time is to a mom and how I was not going to call Jamie if I didn't have to? She kept it up. "He will only stop crying when he has his mom." After half an hour, I concluded she might be right. So I sheepishly called Jamie and told her that despite all my efforts, he was not a happy guy. She said she'd come right over. Murphy's law: not 3 minutes later he suddenly decided to fall asleep. I quick called her back, but she was on her way. He ended up completely zonked out. So Jamie hung out a bit and asked Anna, "So, was he crying a lot?" The drama queen put her head in her hands and groaned, "Yes, I have such a headache. That's why my head is in my hands."
And despite my failure to keep baby Rowan happy, I am not cured. I think I am just immune to failure in the keeping kids happy department by now. And to add to the conspiracy, Levi was all coos and smiles last night as well at our Pampered Chef fundraiser .
I don't feel so bad, though. Anna isn't "fixed" either. She asked when she could play with baby Rowan again and if she was ever going to get to be a big sister.
Really, all 4 of us think babies are fabulous and wouldn't mind another. But there's this thing called "Lack of a full time real job" that is quite the deterrent.
No comments:
Post a Comment