Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Most Important Meal of the Day

Annie got in bed with us 15 minutes before the alarm rang.  First question out of her mouth
"Can we have breakfast now?"
I told her we could when the alarm rang.
This irritated her and she commented, "When I come in here in the morning it always smells stinky?"
We kept trying to sleep.
She asked again, "Can we go have breakfast?"
"Remember what I said about the alarm?"
"When is the alarm going to ring?"
"In 5 minutes."
A brief silence then,"Do you know what the most important meal of the day is?"
I had to laugh.  "Breakfast?"
"Yep!"
"And we will eat it when the alarm rings."
We came downstairs when the alarm rang.  I fixed her oatmeal.  She said it tasted weird and wouldn't eat it.  I wondered if it was because I put cream in it instead of milk, so I fixed her granola, yogurt and berries.  Wouldn't eat that either - tasted yucky.  I suspect she caught her sister's cold and she can't taste.
I sit here with two wasted breakfasts and a child who got up too early crawling around my legs acting like a cat and meowing for me to read her a stack of library books.  
After my coffee. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

This is how a nice mom responds to kids getting up before they're supposed to. I wish I was a nice mom. I really do try! Maybe I should start drinking coffee. Do you think that would help?

Tiffany said...

if i'm a nice mom, it's because of coffee. i owe it all to coffee...