Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Insider

Molly had her science fair on Monday night.  It was really fun to see all the projects and be impressed by fifth and sixth graders.  Molly is fortunate to have a former science teacher dad and to have a few science-y bones in her body.  Her project was a popular one with adults especially.

Molly tested carpet cleaners on four different types of stains: mud, fruit punch, ketchup, and coffee.  She used 4 different cleaners and plain water.  The cleaners each used different methods of attacking the stain (some were hydrogen peroxide based, some used surfactants, etc).  I cannot use the names of the cleaners in order to protect the safety of my daughter.  The results: plain water was the third best.  There were 2 worse than plain water.  You can see that awful ketchup stain on the top and a very noticeable mud stain. Cleaned with one of the top selling brands in America.  Parents were astonished.  "I have that in my cabinet! Plain water works better?!"  I can vouch for the careful scientific procedure used in this experiment.  If you want to know the actual results you will have to contact me outside this space and swear to secrecy.  You saw the Insider, right?  

1 comment:

Kristy said...

So interesting! Tell Molly I'm so proud of her! That's one the parents won't forget for awhile.