Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The End

of having no kids for a few days.

And the end of my introspective motherhood posts. I heard your sigh of relief.

Besides canoeing and eating out at places our kids would not enjoy, we took a three hour drive around a lake after dinner, stopping at interesting points along the way, like a throw-back beach-side amusement park and a state park to watch the sunset over the lake. We saw Inception in the movie theater. We played tennis. We stayed up later and got up later than usual. We totally had tons of fun.

The girls are getting back after dinner. Jeff must have thought he had one more date idea to squeeze in before their arrival - he asked, with enthusiasm I am having trouble understanding, if I would like to be a sub player on his softball team tonight. That sounded more like humiliation to me than a good time. I really am glad that our time together produced such feelings of admiration and belief in me, but that really should not be translated to my softball skills. I declined, thinking it wiser that we end on a good note.