I am sitting in a Tim Horton's with coffee and a box of donut holes to take to my kids. So I can have wireless internet. Panera would've required me to have changed out of the clothes I slept in. Yes, I am sitting in public on a laptop in the clothes I slept in, plus a big "boyfriend shirt" thrown over the top. I did brush my teeth, wash my face, and slap on deodorant before I left.
We are still traveling. The camping trip, despite some high temps and humidity and a big storm was a smashing success. My kids were never dirtier, but probably have never had more fun. Spending time with that group of friends is pricelessly wonderful and worth every mosquito bite and tent leak.
Now we are in the Dayton area visiting family. I have a different perspective on the area these days. Instead of the bored, "gotta get outta here" attitude I've had toward it in the past, I actually see some of the charm. Maybe it's because I appreciate, for a change, a bit of familiarity in my surroundings instead of playing Tiffany the Explorer. Maybe because the temps (until today) have been lovely and Ohio's river valleys and farms and such are not everyday scenery anymore. We went to the Dayton fireworks last night and had a blast. The Dayton area is considerably improved since I moved from here.
And of course, family is here. It's been so nice hanging out with them. What really strikes me is how much we miss our niece and nephews, and how hard it is to keep a long distance relationship up with kids. Kids don't talk on the phone much; in-person rough-housing and joking around carries far more relationship value. We've been stealing opportunities to hang out with them every chance we can.
The most difficult thing about traveling "home" is navigating family expectations. Jeff and I painstakingly divide up time between the two sides to the hour, and yet still we manage to disappoint. I try to remind myself that they just love us, and that it is difficult to have the hurricane that is Jeff, the kids, the dog & I smash into your life for a few days. (Ask the families we camped with!) And just like there are parts of camping that are inconvenient, there are parts of staying with family for a few days that are inconvenient too. Which doesn't mean not worth it or important. It's just that traveling tests patience and flexibility like few things do. So I do little things to keep even-keeled, like sticking to my running schedule and staying up with school work. Which conveniently both provide a little time away by myself to refuel and regroup and be a better visitor. (Jeff golfs).
It will feel a little lonely when I am back in New York, probably, even though there will be enormous amounts of work awaiting me. Speaking of - do any New Yorkers read this? If so, will you water my garden, please? We forgot to tell our neighbors we were leaving and also forgot to program their phone number into our cell phone.
Really, I am sure we are more trouble than we are worth! I must remember this when I find travel irritations creeping up on me.
1 comment:
oh come on. You're totally worth all the trouble and please, on another blog note, get a window air conditioner! It's worth the money I swear. Jeff, it's worth the money, I swear :)
Post a Comment