I have a research paper due Friday. So I'm either neglecting my kids or the paper, or right this moment, both. One of the sure signs that someone is NOT Supermom is that they, as the primary child care provider for their young children, take summer courses during the kids summer break. I am supposed to be caring for my children, and yet I decide I need to enroll in summer classes. Also, Supermom does not neglect.
Lucky for my kids, they do have a Superaunt and a Superuncle who are rescuing them Saturday. The girls' mother is leaving them in Scranton, PA (it makes the situation sound even more pathetic, doesn't it?) and Superaunt and Superuncle will scoop them up and whisk them off to fun and exciting Washington, DC for a few days. And for free! The kids even get to go to the ocean (and have ice cream on the boardwalk, just so you know what ideas Annie has in her head Uncle Mike and Aunt Kristy!) for a day or so.
There will be just a few short weeks in August where I will be free from classes. One of those weeks, I have agreed to let the grandparents take the kids. The other, we will be on a trip with Jeff's family. So that leaves like one solid good week of lazy summer fun for me and the kids. I will try to block off that week as All Fun, No Work week. No volunteering, no cleaning house, no saying "ok" when asked to do a project, and absolutely no school.
And then, I could really use Supermom until school starts for my girls after Labor Day. So if you could clue me in as to her whereabouts, my kids and I would be extremely grateful. Probably my husband too. Who as sweetly as he possibly could, recommended a parenting book for me to read this summer. When someone's husband risks his neck to suggest a parenting book, it is also another sign that this someone is not Supermom.
4 comments:
YOU are a supermom. You have spirituality, faith, love and you share your kindness with anyone nearby. This is teaching your amazing girls wonderful things. You volunteer, you support, you strengthen your spouse. You love unconditionally. You are a wife, a Mother, a Woman of God and of course a student too. You show your children that you are a mom but have not forgotten your own identity. And for that, I call you SUPERMOM.
I love you. My husband once said, "You're a better mom than this". Talk about a risk. You are fine, it will be fine and they will remember that week like it was all summer because it's going to be awesome! Supermom died in like the 50's, I wore red to her funeral and later danced on her grave.
I try to think about what I remember about my mom at this age... she also went to school when I was young. Actually, she started when I was in grade school and finally got her degree mabye 1 year before I got mine. I was proud of her... proud of her drive to continue and to push through.
I actually have more respect for her now that I'm a mom... that she was able to do all of it while she was working full time and being a mom.
you are a super mom. your kids are going to look up to you for so many things: work ethic, perserverance, love, laughter, I could go on :)
(but, if you find supermom, please send her my way. just for a little visit... I need to jump into the dad role and finish up some projects. i'm also not sure how I would take jeff's book suggestion... :)
Thank you for the compliments, though I promise I wasn't fishing. I was mostly trying to employ self-depricating humor:) The support is wonderful, though. Especially when it comes from some pretty great mamas.
For the record: I finished the behemoth paper this morning!! Who wants to help me celebrate?
And somehow, my children really are great little people. Molly played the most lovely Vivaldi piece yesterday that nearly brought me to tears. Anna approached me with concern for the orphans in Haiti, no lie. Maybe it's because their father reads parenting books:)
But, they did have to get relegated to separate rooms until I finished my paper because they were fighting too much. Just in case you started to get impressed or something;)
Post a Comment