Monday, July 19, 2010

Mom and Dad Need a Camera

Yesterday, Jeff and I woke up to beautiful weather, the kind more typical of Upstate New York summer. As we were drinking coffee out on the deck we decided we would go out to the Adirondacks and do a long canoe trip. We got together out stuff, the dog and headed out. Just like that.

And it really is a shame that we had no camera. Molly rightfully took her camera with her, and probably was using it to take pictures at the beach. But Mom and Dad should get their own camera. Jeff said that we could have never captured exactly how gorgeous the scenery was. And true, you can't convey the amazing mountain fresh air and pine tree smell, the clearness of water, the sound of only rippling water and breeze through trees. And honestly, I never take many photos anyway, because the moment is usually too fun to interrupt and take a picture. But I do like to look at them and remember later...

The trip was maybe four hours, and we paddled the Moose River, the most twisty little river I've ever been on. (The north branch, I think - the south branch has the whitewater and is not suitable for canoeing). We barely saw anyone else and it was so peaceful and beautiful. Hands down the best canoe trip I've ever taken.

At one point, we hoisted the canoe onto a sandbar and ate lunch and went for a little swim. Biscuit rolled in something smelly so I threw him in the water and lo and behold, he can swim! It was quite hilarious, and though he was actually proficient and graceful, he turned himself right around and swam straight to shore. He's not afraid of water, he just doesn't prefer it, I guess.

The low point of the trip is when we were required to get out and do a 250 yard carry through the woods. It sounds so simple. But that's a long way to carry a heavy canoe with stuff in it through bad footing in the woods, with a dumb little dog trotting under the canoe right when you need to set it down for a rest. When we put the canoe back in, Jeff suggested that I ride in the back for awhile. Don't ever put the person who weighs twice the other one in the front. Jeff and I paddling a canoe are in great rhythm and balance, smooth, anticipating one another's moves - if Jeff is in the back and I am in the front. So we switched back and all was harmonious again.

Maybe when my sister and brother-in-law stay with us later this week we'll go back up to the Adirondacks and we'll have a few cameras around:) Though there still won't be Moose River pictures - I doubt we'll be doing that canoe trip with the kids yet.

No comments: