Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Gift that Now Gives

It costs a lot of money to invest in your children's activities, doesn't it?! For us, violin is the serious pursuit of our oldest. I try not to have heart failure whenever Molly replies "I don't know," to the question, "Where is your violin?" asked when she gets off the bus empty-handed. I try to keep my voice from skyrocketing in pitch and volume when I remind her that a violin costs not hundreds, but thousands of dollars. Her lessons are 25 bucks a week. We just replaced a bow that cost nearly 50 dollars. We pay to go to concerts. She has a concert outfit, and periodically needs music, tuners, etc. And I know we spend a lot less than other parents do for traveling all-star sports teams or gymnastic hopefuls.

When Molly was little, the violin squeaked a lot. It never bothered me as much as say, loud talking Elmo toys that did not have a volume switch. And I got pretty used to it - if she was in another room. It was harder when my seven year old would stand facing me, only a foot or two away making me to listen to her latest piece.

She doesn't squeak anymore, and she is getting "vibrato" down. She has virtually a perfect ear. She is expressive. Molly is really good.

This morning she was playing Prelude from Suite no. 1 for cello (think, the current American Express commercial) as I went about my morning chores. It was like I had the radio on. Only live, which is always better. She just classes up the atmosphere of our home. I feel as if I should have real Monet paintings gracing my walls and big old fashioned vases of peonies on my tables.

It's hard to juggle activities and cart kids around. It's hard to make space in the budget. But on mornings like this one, my heart soars with pride and gratitude for the gift of my child's music.

1 comment:

Tashmica said...

I am not sure I will get this from a perfectly timed back flip...but I understand. I love it.