Tonight was a school choir concert for Molly. Along with the concert, was a band concert, and 7th and 8th grade orchestra concert. That makes for one long evening. Jeff, I kid you not, brought the latest issue of TIME. Note that Molly's violin instructor, and conductor of the 7th and 8th grade orchestra, was seated directly in front of us and knows exactly who we are. That was a tiny bit embarrassing for me.
Molly could care less about this. After the concert, as all of her peers were filing out of the auditorium, Jeff decided to start skipping in the parking lot in a distinctly "Hammertime" way, very obviously, very loudly. Anna, of course, gleefully joined in. Molly stopped dead, put a hand on my arm and said in a barely audible voice,"Make it look like we're not with them." How could I refuse her?
Someday she will understand that her father's complete lack of self-consciousness is a quality she actually wants to possess, and that his antics will serve to thicken her skin and provide her with a sense of humor and ability to laugh at herself (and her dad). For now, however, she is a sixth grader.
I walked really slowly with her.
2 comments:
I laughed out loud at this post. Ah, Jeff. Doing what he does best; embarrassing adolescent girls by being his un-embarrass-able self. :) It's a quality that makes him both endearing and exasperating. Just tell him that if he spins her, she just may hate him for the next five years.
Ha! I am going to hope and bet it won't be the last time. Good job Jeff! Good for you for walking a little slower. Someday she will claim him with pride:) skipping and all. Hammertime? Really? Good stuff.
Post a Comment