Monday, March 8, 2010

My Little Sunshine

Anna and I went on our first nursing home visit with Pastor Linda this morning. Linda and I were hopeful that Anna would not be traumatized by a nursing home, but I was fairly confident that although she might be uncomfortable, Anna would not be scarred. She wasn't. She got a little bored, but was well-behaved and talked to the residents very nicely. The ladies were visibly glad to have a child around. The lady we were especially there to visit was an active charter member of the church, still pretty mentally sharp, but totally plagued by physical ailments.

When Anna and I were alone in the car, I asked her what she thought. She said she felt bad for our new friend. I asked her if she'd like to visit again and she replied without thought, "Oh yes!"

My appreciation for this little ray of sunshine of a child runs so deep I cannot adequately express it. This was not the most fun experience ever, yet Anna gets how important it is to make people feel loved. It is one of her greatest character traits. This kid routinely steps up to the plate when she needs to, at the most surprising moments in the most surprising ways.

She has a weakness for Mc Donald's shakes, unfortunately. When I offered her a lunch outing of her choice afterward, she seized the opportunity and asked for my most unfavorite of restaurants. It's really a good thing that her sharp mind is accompanied by a soft heart.

2 comments:

Tashmica said...

And here is another one:) I love this and that little Anna! She is so lovely. I think it may have to do with her mother. Just a hunch!

Kristy said...

And a loud karate yell! :)

Uncle Mike says to say that McDonald's is awesome. You don't have to tell her that. If Uncle Mike says it, she'll take it to be gospel truth. And she'll never change her mind.