Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Daddy's Girls

This morning Daddy is taking the girls to school and I get to work in my pajamas.  But I couldn't resist a little sentimental blogging.  

This shot was taken this morning before they left.  Lately these two have been buddies.  Anna was getting in some extra cuddles since Daddy is leaving today for a week of conferences in California.

Daddy and Molly have a very easy relationship.  Jeff says that he has never been truly exasperated by Molly or in any danger of losing his temper with her.  Nan, on the other hand, has tried Jeff's patience since she was a baby, and knows exactly how to push his buttons. Of course, this doesn't mean he loves her any less; he appreciates her unique personality and can be just as easily wrapped around her little finger when her sweet, bubbly side is showing.  

Daddy and Nan have developed some rituals just between the two of them that have been born from said wrapping around little finger.  On the rare occasion that Jeff takes Anna to school on the bus, they ALWAYS go to the coffee shop next door, get hot chocolate, and spend some time hanging out.  Anna has to get a back rub from Dad every night before bed.  At the slightest inclination that Jeff is in the mood to goof around, Anna jumps on him and incites a wrestling match.  And Jeff has silly songs, dances, and jokes that he shares with both girls.  He also has  named their evil alter-egos.  Whining Molly is "Yllom" and raging Anna is "Ohna".  When Molly is whining Jeff will say, "I wish Yllom would go away and bring back my Molly." Or , "Oh-oh, I think Ohna just showed up."  This works miracles for him.  Magic, really - it does not work for me. 

I write this since we are bracing for a week of beloved Daddy's absence.  The girls and I have some fun times when it's just the three of us, but Jeff's presence is definitely missed.  I am so grateful that as the teenage years are starting to loom in the near future (for Moll), my girls have good relationships with Daddy.  His ability to connect with them in silliness, affection, or discipline is a priceless quality and just one more reason I'm so glad I married that guy.  Even though he is taking me far away from family and friends.  

No comments: