Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Break in DC Part 1



This is the part of my blog where I make you look at my vacation pictures:)  If you have access to my sister Kristy's Facebook profile, her pictures are much better.  

First, funny anecdotes about the plane trip.  First airplane ride for both my kids.  Molly was super nervous but handled the trip like a champ.  Anna was very excited.  It is so fun to experience something mundane through the fresh eyes of a child.  I sat next to Molly (since she was nervous and wanted Mama) and Anna sat next to Jeff (but would've gladly sat next to the pilot or one of the flight attendants as well).  As we were ready for take off the following conversation took place between Anna and Jeff (as best I can remember):
Anna:  This is so exciting.  Is this an adventure, Dad?
Jeff:  Yes, it is.
Anna:  Is it an adventure for you, Dad?
Jeff:  Yes, it is.
Anna:  But this isn't your first time flying, is it Dad?
Jeff:  No, it isn't.
Anna:  But it could be your last.
Said in a completely unconcerned fashion.

We hit some pretty startling turbulence.  One big bump sent drinks and profanity flying.  During which Anna starts laughing the uproarious kind of four year old laughter that can be heard above all else and exclaimed, "Can we do that again?!"

Now for the trip.  We were visiting with Uncle Mike and Aunt Kristy and had an amazing time I can't begin to describe.  Great company, great sights, great weather, great trip.  We walked and took the Metro just about everywhere, hit peak cherry blossoms, ate some yummy food, and packed in some good visiting with two of our favorite people (and one of our favorite dogs...) A snippet of each day:

Ok, well we're backwards again.  This is evening day 3.  We went to a charming part of Alexandria with lots of old homes, shops and restaurants.  The waterfront area was hosting some fun entertainers, one being a balloon artist.  The girls with their balloon art.
After the race we decided that since we were near the monuments, we'd do some sightseeing.  So we hit everything we hadn't seen the day before.  The girls on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial overlooking the reflecting pool and Washington Monument.
Mike, Kristy and I ran the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler.  It was a perfect morning and we were running past all the hit sights under peak cherry blossoms.  Mike kicked butt.  Kristy and I did not achieve the time we'd hoped to.  I have developed this annoying habit of not sleeping the night before a big race and it wreaks havoc on my time.  I had better training 10 mile times.  But I'm glad I did it.
Day 2.  We took the Metro to the Mall to see the monuments and blossoms.  The crowds were enormous.  You sometimes could not move.  It made it difficult to maneuver.  
Day 1 we went to the National Zoo first.  It was a warm, sunny day and Anna had seeing the new gorilla baby and the pandas on her agenda.  The baby gorilla was as charming as we hoped she'd be.  The pandas sat and ate, which Kristy said is all she's ever seen them do.  They have the biggest roaming area of all the animals in that zoo, and yet they are always inside, eating bamboo.  

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I was thinking that, Anna's post-turbulence laughter might make her a good PR person for the airlines. Just put her on flights to make everyone feel good about stuff. Then I remembered, "but it might be her last." Too funny! Love that girl!