Saturday, April 18, 2009

Not Yet

Molly brought a friend home after her soccer game today and she stayed the whole day and evening with us.  We've known C almost since we've moved here and she's spent a few days and one or two nights with us.  We love her and think she's tons of fun.  

It's amazing how kids grow up fast.  Since last soccer season we haven't seen much of C until today.  The first hour or so I was a little dismayed, wondering where that little girl went and who this preteen wearing eye makeup and tossing her hair and acting cool was.

Today, however, was one of those first spring days of 70 and sunny that have magic in them (Syracuse, I'm watching you and am not impressed with your behavior today - cold and rainy?  That contract is not signed yet...).  Before long they were busy at the woods on the edge of "our side yard" as my kids call it, and I went to investigate.  They were sweaty and dirty and scraped up, but their eyes were shiny and their cheeks pink as they showed me the fort they were making with fallen tree limbs and bark.  (Well, some were not "fallen", but don't worry - I reminded them to stick to the fallen stuff.)  They kept at it all afternoon.  When they came in for dinner, they had completely transformed into little girls again, eating tons of pancakes (C is a big fan of breakfasts for any meal, and I suspect that syrup has a role to play in that) and chattering and giggling.  They begged me to play a game with them, ate ice cream, watched videos of Molly at age 2, helped Anna play on Webkinz, and did not bring out any of their former much too grown up for them attitudes.  When C's mom came C temporarily hid in the bathroom to avoid having to go home "so soon" (9:30pm).  

Yes, I realize the day is coming when even 70 degree days will not be able to coax the little girl out of them.  But not for awhile, hopefully. 

No comments: