Progress. Are all of our technological advances advancing us? In some ways, it's becoming clear that they are not. They may have made our lives temporarily easier, but maybe we're paying the price now?
Applicable to many topics but let's take Plastic. It's light, portable and durable. Also takes tons of petroleum to make and may cause cancer and other health problems. Debate that until kingdom come. My suspicion is that chemicals do leak into stuff from plastic. My scientific evidence?
I don't drink anything out of a plastic cup if I can help it. Water tastes better out of a glass. Milk tastes better out of a glass. Juice tastes better out of a glass. Wine tastes better out of a glass. Name me something that tastes better coming from a plastic cup. (No, especially not beer from colored Solo cups, college students). And I'm going to take that a step further and say that coffee and tea do not taste good coming from a styrofoam (another culprit) cup either - better out of a mug.
So maybe we are polluting and messing up the environment AND sacrificing taste. Homemade bread tastes better than that white stuff you can roll in a ball and buy for 5o cents a loaf, right? (And my children think is manna from heaven). Far more nutritious too. Convenience has its price. We make progress in one area, and devolve in another. Though I admit, plastic has its uses. Glass bumpers would be a disaster.
Do you know what inspired this? Drinkin' Coke from a glass bottle. Happy Earth Day!
1 comment:
I've actually seen a commercial praising the good things that have come from plastic which I'm sure you have seen... it's the one that says, "all this was made possible by plastic..." and one of the images they show is a baby in an ICU incubator. I'm sure that plastics had a tiny role in saving Molly's life, but this kind of commercial gives no credit to the God who saved those babies lives or better yet the God who allowed man to have the resources to invent plastics. He made it all possible... and He commands us in His word to take care of "subdue" His creation (Gen. 1:28). This job was easy for Adam and Eve until they decided to disobey God. Now the ground is cursed because of it so we are continually trying to come up with new ways to not have to do as much work but our efforts fail because we are cursed to toil in vain (Gen.3). Praise God that He made a way to redeem us. And that he is willing to put up with our wastefulness... for now.
I like coke out of the bottle better too! Wonder what Adam and Eve drank their Coke out of? Ha. ha. Imagine the clean pure water they must have had!
I love your controversial topics! They remind me that there is no controversy greater than the Cross, and that the bible has an answer for everything.
Post a Comment