Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Break in DC Part 2

Day 4 was rainy in the morning, and we went to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.  It, too, was crowded.  Upside of Cherry Blossom season in DC - the lovely cherry blossoms and good weather.  The downside: the huge crowds.  The girls liked the ocean room.  The adults liked the orchid display.  The girls' favorite room was the Gems and Minerals.  They would've stayed there all day if they hadn't needed to eat.  Aunt Kristy and Uncle Mike bought them some gems from the gift shop too.  It's always a highlight to buy something from the gift shop when you're a kid.
The sun came out for our picnic lunch.  I should've posted the picture of the girls taking a carousel ride.  It kind of captured the feeling of the afternoon.  We also poked around the Smithsonian gardens, which were beautiful.  
Day 5 We went to Great Falls National Park.  It was cold!  But a fun hike. That evening, Kristy and I got to go out for a just sisters dessert at a hip restaurant that was much more hip than I .  When you go out with young, attractive friends you get lots of friendly attention from waiters and free coffee apparently.  The dessert was delicious but far too small and expensive, as they are in those kind of places that I rarely patronize.  It's been a long time since I've had a girls night out with my sister and I thoroughly enjoyed the time.

Day6 would've been inappropriate to take pictures...I got a tour of IJM, my sister's workplace, and got to sit in on their prayer meeting.  I kind of got to meet (in a mass introduction kind of way) some amazing people and hear about incredible things they are doing around the world.  It was an inspiring place to be.  Then we went out to lunch with Kristy, said good-bye, put Howie in his cage and hopped on the Metro to the airport and went home.

And now I should be catching up on housework and schoolwork.  The kids are irritable (Anna has hit another phase where none of her clothes "feel right" and we get a fit every time she has to get dressed.)  I tried to start the morning out right by fixing their favorite breakfast, but it only worked for a short time.  I shooed them outside and it's possibly a bit too cold to play, but I'm sure they'll come in if they get too cold.  After all, Anna was begging to wear shorts yesterday. 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

What a great family shot! And what a treat to get to go to work with your sister. I'm so glad you got to do that!